My former colleague, Shannon just started her own cooking show My Sister’s Kitchen on YouTube. One of her first videos was this Quinoa Oatmeal. I like the quinoa better because it doesn’t get too thick and gluey the way that oatmeal can. Since I have difficulty swallowing thick foods, this is much easier to get down.
For this recipe, I didn’t have the chia seeds so I’m not sure how it would affect the texture. I understand chia seeds make a good, healthy pudding so that is something I will try in the future. You can use this recipe to get creative and add your own flavours. Mix in your favourite blended fruit, brown sugar & cinnamon, maple syrup, Nutella… The possibilities are endless!
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp of soaked chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp of hemp seeds (optional)
- 5-8 strawberries (or fruit of your choice)
- Cook your quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- Blend your strawberries (Or the fruit of your choice) to your desired consistency.
- Add the cooked quinoa, soaked chia seeds and milk to a microwave safe bowl.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Top with blended strawberries and sprinkle with hemp seeds for some added nutrition.
Watch the video for the original, non-blended recipe here:
Did you try this recipe? What flavours did you make? Let me know in the comments section below!